Colette (2018)

 Colette (2018): a film rant review


I loved this story.


I didn't know anything about it, I'd never heard of it before, I just wanted to

watch a period film. I saw it on Netflix, and that it was about a writer so there I was,

clicking 'watch now'.


It was visually so beautiful. Well, it would be, being set in 19th century Paris. 



I loved how quickly the film immerses you into the socialite society of Willy and Colette. 

Before long we are laughing with them and the guests they are entertaining, attending parties, causing a stir: flirting, being fabulous and outrageous and sassy. 


An angry Keira Knightley will always be one of my favourite on-screen tropes.

Her face captures so much feeling and I wanted to SCREAM every time she did something truly iconic which, let's be honest, was a LOT!



The gender-bending, queer elements to the plot were fabulous and so so interesting to see on screen, especially in a period film. I loved it. The masculine jackets Colette wears are amazing, effortlessly  conveying that this woman is multi-faceted, multi-loving, multi-TALENTED.

They did it so well. 



I thought I was watching it for its plot about writing, but it turns out this film was MADE for me.

My head has lived in the world of that film, in the expression in Colette's eyes, in the grunts of Willy's hugeness, the drawl of the sexy ginger bitch. I haven't been able to shake off the mark that film struck me with. I want to go back. I want to visit it, I want to tour that apartment and find old stories on parchment written in French in all the drawers. I want to slap Willy in the face multiple times, probably in time to the brass section of some fancy orchestral music. I want to dance with Colette and Missy, and I want to watch Claudine slowly brush her hair in front of me.



This might be a bit of a weird review, but I feel like it captures the impression that film had on me.

I now want to read everything by the real Colette. I think I have to add her to my 'dead dinner party' guestlist. She'd have some fascinating stories to tell. 


Ellen Victoria

Comments

Popular Posts