Book Review: Rubyfruit Jungle, Rita Mae Brown

 Book Review: Rubyfruit Jungle, Rita Mae Brown 


Read: 05 - 13/06/2023

My rating: 3 /5 stars

Book of 2023: 6 




Molly Bolt - just another dirt poor ole Southern girl who played doctor with the boys and lost her virginity to her girlfriend in the sixth grade…


Molly Bolt - the skinny, big-mouthed brat who grew up beautiful, mesmerised the head cheerleader of Ft. Lauderdale High and captivated a gorgeous heiress. The girl who made a spectacular exit from college and took off for New York to become the greatest film-maker that ever lived. 


Molly Bolt - she’s funny, reckless and doesn’t give a damn. An all-American, true-blue gay - and proud of it!


If ever a blurb could give me the ick - it’d be this one. I bought this during my final semester at university as part of my research for my creative writing project. Never got round to reading it. 


It wasn’t the best - I think I struggled to resonate with the dated, Southern phrasing and how self-aggrandising Molly was at times. 


Overall, though, it’s a story of persistence, courage, perseverance, and self-belief despite all the times people let her down. 


I think Molly’s story is one many queer people can see themselves in, maybe not every part of it, but the feeling of forced independence and self-reliance, not fitting in, etc etc. We see her tackle a life filled with people who come in and just as quickly leave. It’s tough, and it’s no wonder she is the way she is - she is a product of it all. 


The ending made me cry in the park - big fat tears that filled my ears till I couldn’t see the page. Where Molly and Carrie say goodbye - good Lord. How gorgeous. Hopeful. 


A powerful novel about listening to your own power. 



Lines I highlighted


Mothers and aunts tell us about infancy and early childhood, hoping we won’t forget the past when they had total control over our lives and secretly praying that because of it, we’ll include them in our future. (3)


Money was power. The more red licorice you had, the more friends you had. (5)


The sun had gone down, and there was one finger of rose left in the sky. (8)


No one was waiting up for me. They’d all gone to bed. (10)


I began to wonder if girls could marry girls, because I was sure I wanted to marry Leota and look in her green eyes forever. (44)


“Then let’s kiss like in the movies and we’ll be engaged.” (49)


I think it’s all pretty well summed up in this last quote I highlighted: 


I didn’t ever want a husband or any man for that matter. I wanted to go on my own way. That’s all I think I ever wanted, to go my own way and maybe find some love here and there. Love, but not the now and forever kind with chains around your vagina and a short circuit in your brain. I’d rather be alone. (88)



Comments

Popular Posts