Book Review: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

 Book Review: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald


Read: 22-31/12/2023

My rating: 4 /5 stars

Book of 2023: 17



Jay Gatsby is a self-made man famed for his decadent, champagne-drenched parties. Despite being surrounded by Long Island’s bright and beautiful, he longs only for Daisy Buchanan. In shimmering prose, Fitzgerald shows Gatsby pursue his dream to its tragic conclusion. 


Ok. It’s taken me 25 years to read this classic. I’d seen the 2013 film years ago and not been entirely enamoured of it, so I think that delayed me even more. However, what a novel. 


I actually listened to this as an audiobook (otherwise, I literally would not have made my goal of 17 books in 2023) and obviously I know I NEED to re-read it from the actual novel itself. That way, I can go in and underline all of the “glittering prose”. 


There is so much to unpack in here. The green light, the eyes on the billboard, the parties, the racism, the misogyny, the invitation. Oh, it’s glorious. I wish I’d studied this. Becca and I had a big ol’ natter about it over the phone. 


Nick is such an interesting narrator - he serves as a pseudo-omniscient narrator. He knows a lot of what’s happening, rarely inserting himself into the story. He, crucially, is trusted by both sides of our lovers to be privy to private conversation. He is a wallflower, but one that has been invited.


The sparkly, showy parties are such an interesting part of Gatsby’s story, mystery, generosity, manipulation. 


God, I need to read it. Look at the final line:


‘So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.’ (148)


Gorgeousness.


When I read it in paper form, I’m sure I’ll do a proper nerdy literature deep dive, but for now, I’m just happy I’ve finally heard the words. I’ll rewatch the film. I’ll live in the story a little while in my head. I continue on, reading the books already on my shelf. 


I finished listening in the evening of new years eve, while getting ready to go out in Bristol to celebrate the end of the year and to welcome in a new one.


Comments

Popular Posts