Book Review: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Book Review: The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams


Read: 03/04 -23/05/2024

My rating: 4 /5 stars

Book of 2024: 4 



On 12 October 1979 the most remarkable book to ever come out of the great publishing corporations of Ursa Minor (and Earth) was made available to humanity - The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. 


It’s an ordinary Thursday morning for Arthur Dent until his home gets demolished. The Earth follows shortly afterwards, to make way for a new hyperspace bypass, and his best friend has just announced that he’s an alien. At this moment, they’re hurtling through space with nothing but a towel and an innocuous-looking book inscribed with the large, friendly words: 

DON’T PANIC.

The weekend has only just begun…


I bought this from the book stalls on Southbank while visiting Becca in London in December 2023. I’d spoken about it with Max, who had said I’d probably really like it. 


I did. 


It is absurd and so clever and witty and nonsensical and entirely sensical at the same time. It is brilliant and so so fun. 


Adams is a craftsman of brilliant words, deeply-understandable character, plots which bounce across galaxies and leave you giggling in their wake. 


I kept diving for my pen to underline. I kept laughing out loud on public transport. 


This book feels like a leap into new territory for me. I am Arthur Dent, being plunged into new and unfamiliar scenarios. I’ve been a fantasy reader in the past, and early works pioneering the gothic-science fiction ground, but not lately. 


I sway towards novels exploring social-commentary, introspective characters, isolated instances, looking into interpersonal relationships. 


But truly I did enjoy this. Dipping into hilarity and cleverness and nonsense was a treat.


I'll add my favourite quotes in here soon...


Check out my bookstagram





Comments

Popular Posts