1917 (2019)

 Film Review: 1917 (2019)

Dir: Sam Mendes

 

It certainly took me long enough to finally watch this film. I watched it, with Ben, over facetime, for "date night". If you're curious, I had a Linda McCartney vegetarian 1/4 lb mozzarella burger, with lettuce, ketchup, mayo, on a bagel, with homemade chips. With it, I drank half a bottle of the £8 Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon, and I revelled in it.

As a rule, I like war films. I like history, historical dramas, dramatic re-enactments, the lot. There had been a lot (deservedly) of hype about this film, and I'd seen that one clip of him running horizontally in front of the trenches in a straight line, so I was sort of prepared.

 


The film is made to look like it is all filmed in one long, continuous shot. It does this. It's really noticeable at the beginning and frankly a tiiiiny bit vomit-inducing during the walking-through-the-trench-to-find-out-what-the-hell-the-film's-about part, BUT, after that it works magically and really helps to showcase the fact that the events are happening over one, long-ass day. Poor guy.  Our wartime buddies, Blake and Schofield, are given their life-risking mission, and get started on their journey. I think the fact they are given their instructions, leave the bunker, and immediately head off, makes it all the more harrowing. The one-shot allows us to join them in the harsh reality that they have no time to emotionally prepare, say goodbye to their platoon, or even sit down. Jesus.

 


Empathy wise, it's difficult to relate to how horrendous these people must be feeling, how tortuous their lives have been for years, but the film is done so well, and the actors showcase their emotions so well, that you really do feel like you're there with them. Again, this is probably helped by the fact that we haven't stopped being with them for even a second, even for a scenery shot, even for a sudden camera angle change. It also really helps that Schofield looks like my high school best friend, but the wholesome and supportive cheerleader in me was awoken by this film.

I cried, of course. I always do.

The scene, when Schofield is so close to Écoust, when he meets the French lady, and the baby, in the low light, is a welcome respite for both Schofield and the audience. For a moment, we forget about the atrocities happening outside, and we welcome the humanity. The milk; a touching moment. The baby isn't even hers; pivotal. Yet, the human connection in this moment seeks to intensify how horrible the world outside that dark, squalid room is, and the inevitability that we must soon return to it.

 


At the end, this long camera shot, feels like it has arrived at its finish. He made it, he went through hell to get there, but he did it. And then, that's it. He just has to carry on now. Has to keep going. Has to return. Life goes on, the war goes on, the fighting doesn't stop. There will be more attacks, more raids, more traps set, more lives lost. The massiveness of this film is not lost on the audience; it is shoved in their faces.

Unforgettable. Rewatchable. Teachable. All of the -ables.

I can't wait to watch this at least once a year now that I know it is a worthy movie to remind me of the magic of storytelling, history, and film-making.

 

Ellen Victoria

@artawaytheworld

Comments

Popular Posts