What I Read in 2020

 What I Read in 2020


SOMEHOW, through sheer determination and some very good authors, I managed to read 12 books this year. Some for my degree, some for pleasure. I've really got into a reading slump in the last few years, even while doing an English Literature degree. It's true. 

So, as difficult as this year has been, at least I fell back in love with reading. 


1. The Ghost Writer, John Harwood

3/5 stars

I read this for my Gender and Monstrosity: Late/Neo Victorian module at university. 

I loved this book, I found it really compelling. I enjoyed the writing style, it was easy to follow, and we heard from two different perspectives, one through narration, and one through letters. The other stories that we read as the narrator does are so interesting, and I wanted to find out what happens in those more too. The ending is really interesting and I was NOT expecting that to happen but it was very well done and the open-to-interpretation ending was perfect for this novel.

Very interesting, and a good start to my reading this year, and a great one to discuss in a seminar atmosphere. 


2. The Little Stranger, Sarah Waters

4/5 stars

I also read this for my Gender and Monstrosity module. LOVED this book. I now really want to read more Sarah Waters novels. I have fallen in love with her writing. The story was spooky, eerie, terrifying at times, and the perspective was so interesting and a really good book to analyse. Again, I loved it. I actually got a first in this module from re-writing a section of this novel using subconscious brain theory! Definitely recommend. 


3. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, R. L. Stevenson

4/5 stars

I read this for my Gothic Victorians module for university but let's be honest, I should have read this by now. How did it take me so long to read this?? I absolutely loved it. It's really short and the story feels really fast paced which is a good thing because it reflects the absolute CHAOS that is Jekyll/Hyde's demise. I would highly recommend this book if you're trying to get into gothic/ science fiction.


4. Carmilla, Sheridan Le Fanu

5/5 stars

Also for Gothic, definitely wish I'd known about it beforehand, because, WOW. What to say??? Sapphic vampires? YES please. I found this text so interesting, and it's once again a short story, so it doesn't take long to read, and the past paced feel reflects the eerie nature of Carmilla and her effect on you. Interesting. Haunting. Read it. You have the privilege to try and decipher the plot as you read from the clues given. It's amazing. I loved everything about it. 


5. Annie on My Mind, Nancy Garden

4/5 stars

I read this while writing my creative dissertation project called Refocus, researching into queer love stories and this one from the eighties (!!) popped up. I am so glad I read this book. A beautiful story between two girls who like girls and it's quite old which I found quite amazing. Definitely recommend this one. Nothing overly ground-breaking in writing style but the entire premise of this book is great and quite exceptional if you really think about it. 


6. The Poet X, Elizabeth Acevedo

5/5 stars

This was my first 'for pleasure' read since finishing my degree and what a way to start! Acevedo brings you a novel is poetic form (and I am not really a poetry gal) and with it so much heart. It's heart-breaking, beautiful, inspiring, and pulls you in every direction with the ease and beauty that is good writing. It is so beautifully written, and covers so many important topics. X is a well rounded character and the world-built drops you in the heart of the story... even through poetry!!! Even if you don't like poetry (because I don't always like poetry) you can still read this without worrying about the poetry. Thumbs up. both thumbs up. If you haven't; read it.


7. Everything I Know About Love, Dolly Alderton

5/5 stars

I've already raved about this on my Instagram (@artawaytheworld) and my blog BUT of course I loved reading this. In fact, i think i NEEDED this book. I read it at the perfect time. I wouldn't normally go for a memoir but Becca and Justine got it for me for my 21st birthday, and I am so glad they did. A really reassuring book if you're in your 20s, filled with laughter, regrets, and pain. 


8. Shiver, Maggie Stiefvater

9. Linger, Maggie Stiefvater

10. Forever, Maggie Stiefvater

3/5 stars

I'm going to rate all three of these together because they've kind of all become one in my head at this point. It was an enjoyable series and a good dive back into YA for me, as well as reading for pleasure. I definitely enjoyed them. I loved Cole and Isabel as characters. I would probably not re-read but maybe I would if I'd read them when I was fourteen like everyone else did. I still enjoyed them nonetheless. Now I do want to read Stiefvater's Raven Cycle. 


11. The Familiars, Stacey Halls

5/5 stars

This easily became my FAVOURITE book of the year... and I read some good books this year. It is very well written, beautifully in fact, with a great plot, and an interesting hook from the beginning. I found it so interesting learning about the Pendle witches, and the lives of women in the 17th century Britain. My first real dive into historical fiction, definitely got my attention. Please, definitely read it. I can't wait to read her second novel, The Foundling.


12. The Flatshare, Beth O'Leary

5/5 stars

Last book of the year, subbed in for Girl, Woman, Other which I was only creeping through very slowly. Instead, this light hearted read ran straight into my heart and made itself comfortable. Easy reading, immersive characterisation, excellent plot, brilliantly funny. Two people, sharing a flat, and a bed !!, who have never met. Yes, we all know what's inevitably going to happen, but O'Leary takes us there on the wildest ride, and it is BRILLIANT. Read it. Go on!


Happy reading!

Ellen Victoria

@artawaytheworld on Instagram



Comments

Popular Posts